Thursday, April 20, 2023

Things to Consider When Taking Care of a Sick Pet

Bette has begun this week to receive radiation treatment at the vet school for the tumor she has on a nerve along her spine. She seems fine although she had diarrhea last night and I had to get up and clean her and the floor and box. I am exhausted from two long days of driving, etc. She isn't there for the 2 hours they said. She is there for four and a half hours ( so far after two days) so I have had to leave to get something to eat. Time, gas, and food are things I had not accounted for/budgeted for. These are things we need to take into consideration when taking care of a sick pet. 

Things to take into consideration and plan for when taking care of a sick cat-time and money and food for you.

1-I need cleaning wipes for her and for messes in the bedroom so that I don't have to take her down the hall to the bathroom like I did today if she has diarrhea again or gets sick overnight in the bedroom. So I bought some today. For the cats I like to choose baby wipes that are scent free/sensitive skin. Used to be Huggies (also came in a cute Winnie the Pooh package); then I discovered Hello Bello (really good wipes.) By chance I received WaterWipes as a HB substitute when doing shopping pickup order and they work very well, also. So, I bought those today.

2-I'm driving 2 hours and 20 min. round trip. I leave at 7:15 a.m. I'm there-so far after two days-from 8:30-1 p.m. then home with her by 2:15 p.m. That's a very long-after two days exhausting-day and when I get home, I have three hours of time to do chores, then dinner, then an hour of tv, then bedtime at 9:30 pm and hopefully asleep by 10:30.

I'm driving 150 miles approximately round trip, not counting driving in town where she receives treatment if I want to go do something, get something to eat; and not counting the driving in our town once off the highway to get home. That will amount to approximately 3400 miles in one month. I'm spending $28 in gas per day because I'm down to just past a half of a tank by the end of the day and when I fill up, that's the amount I am approximately spending. That will amount to $560 approximately I will spend this month.

I wanted a snack yesterday and spent $4.00. Today I needed breakfast and spent $16. I did not budget for food because they said she would be there for 2-3 hours per day and I thought I wouldn't need anything. BUT she is there 4 1/2 hours so far after two days and if this keeps up I will need to bring food, or spend money for food, etc. I'll have to think about this one because that means it will be $200-$400 for food ($4-$20 per day approx.) to budget.


No comments:

Post a Comment