Friday, February 3, 2023

Breathing Rate Apps-For Pets and Humans

Someone said they use a breathing app to count breathing rates. I found there are quite a few different apps out there that might help you count and track the rate. You can also use the clock/timer on your phone. I simply watch my second hand on my watch-something anyone over 45ish likely still uses. (Or older??)

One thing I may not have mentioned-when counting the breathing rate you are ALSO looking for the difference between a fast rate and a fast rate that includes a PUSHING out by the chest (and for a cat it's really the entire chest/abdomen area that moves.) A PUSH indicates the body is having a difficult time getting oxygen into the lungs; it's trying to get oxygen and cannot. That indicates there is CHF and the cat needs the vet/ER vet now (although surprisingly when Katharine got sick a few months ago, it wasn't CHF but simply a respiratory infection that caused the PUSH which we had not seen in our non HCM cats before.) You'd want to give a diuretic but also leave for the ER and oxygen.

Here are a few. I'm sure there are more. Find these apps at Apple or Google or wherever you go for apps. I have no information on costs or ease of use but a pet owner said they use SRR and like it.

RRate, SRR Counter for Dogs and Cats, Medtimer, TapRate, Respi-Rate, Breath Counter.



No comments:

Post a Comment